Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Certified...Finally

Today Drew, Grandma and I took a trip into Boston City Hall to obtain a copy of Drew's birth certificate. A copy was never sent to our town hall, so we had to battle the rough city streets and go get it. The last time I was in City Hall was when I was paying for several outstanding parking tickets I racked up in college...they caught up with me 3 years later. Oops
I made a huge faux pas when going through security. The security guard took Drew in his stroller around the metal detector while I put my bag through X-Ray. When I got over to them he goes..."how much?" I assumed he was joking and asking me how much for the adorable baby....to which I responded "oh, you couldn't afford it". Well, apparently he was asking me how much for the stroller and was incredibly offended. I managed to sort of explain myself, but I just booked it in the other direction. Well, who really asks those kinds of questions anyway?

We went to the Birth Certificate window (#218) where I filled out a form and waited behind about 10 people. She took the form and said go to the next window (#219)....ok, "Andrew"..."yes that is me"....she hands me a slip..."gopayatthenextwindowandcomeback"...ok, go to window #220...ring the bell for service...."$24 cash only"...."mom, do you have $12?"......"ANDREW"....obtain copy of certificate. (But, I had a question)...."how do I get it on file in my town"....."um, let me talk to my supervisor".......wait, wait wait...."DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM?"(directed at me to which I just looked back at this women with no response)....."DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR SOMETHING?".......well, um, yeah someone was going to go check something for me.....

I finally got it straightened out and a copy will be sent to my town, but man oh man I hate that place. I guess if I were stuck in a dark concrete dungeon all day I would be just as miserable.


Drew and his birth certificate....he looks about as happy as I was at this point

What prompted me to get my butt in there and finally do this was that we decided to go to Florida and visit Granny and Poppy in Key Largo, FL this weekend. I know it is not international, but the airline suggested that we have a copy so I figured that I would get it. If not, I probably wouldn't sleep at night thinking they wouldn't let us on the plane.

So we are off to the beach...I can't wait for some sun! As soon as I booked the flight I had the same feeling that I had after mailing out over 50 invitations to Drew's birthday party....gulp! "What did I just do to myself?" But just like the party, I am sure that everything will turn out great....even the 3 hours on a plane with a child who won't sit still for 30 seconds.

Wish us luck and the next time you see us, it will be pictures from FLA!

3 comments:

Sara said...

Oh, I remember getting Lucy's birth certificate...not fun! I think for Phoebe's I will just order it through the mail and wait. Have a great time in Florida and try not to stress about the flight. We've done a lot of traveling with Lucy...some good flights, some bad flights, but we were always glad we went.

Anonymous said...

I've flown with Jack twice, and even though he wasn't as old as the boys are now, he did fine. If Jack acted up last time we flew to Myrtle Beach I pacified him with food. He might get to Florida with a tummy ache...but at least you'll get there! have fun!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Drew is showing Mommy just how much fun it was getting her to eat.